Tag Archives: hand dyeing

At Play

sketches on my workbenchI’m playing- experimenting with collage, drawing,  and dyeing on silk chiffon.  It’s GREAT… though I don’t know where this is leading me…Stitching  as a drawing line

paper and fiber sketches

fiber sketches

Winter Tree Series- Three Completed

Following last week’s setbacks, it was hard to tell how close these paintings were to completion.  A few  more steps on each, and I called them done.
Winter Tree Series- Orange SkyWinter Tree Series- Grey EveningWinter Tree Series- Yellow Sky


I’m linking up to Nina Marie Sayer’s Off the Wall Friday here.  I am ready to check it out for my weekly inspiration!

Winter Tree Series Begun

Drawings in my sketchbook spurred me to a new series in process now.   Working on silk coated with Magic Sizing, and using a brush with very little dye, I can work with a linear quality I usually find in my pencil drawings.  Drawing on Silk

After steam setting this drawing, I can rinse out the Magic Sizing and start on the next layer.  I’ll be adding some color, so I will need to preserve the tree outlines with my water resistant gutta.  Gutta outlines on my grawing

After the gutta dries, I can add color.  Silk Dye over Drawing

After adding my silk dye, I tried to add a bit of texture with some salt, with little result on this painting.  My next stage will be some shadowing on the trees.  This painting is looking a bit underfinished to me, but I do like the direction it is heading.

Dyeing Cotton, continued…

For my project I chose plain white 100% cotton sheeting.  I will be dyeing about 2 yards.  I found exactly what I needed at a great store nearby, Kitch Fabrics.  I found the dye and the washing soda at EarthGuild downtown. Thanks to Amy at Kitch Fabrics for a such a great and affordable fabric selection, and thanks to the folks at EarthGuild for great help with the dye supplies. I feel really lucky that I was able to gather the supplies so easily.

So, I started by washing the cotton in hot water.  Then I soaked it in a solution of 1 cup washing soda to one gallon water for about 20 minutes.  After that I made the dyebath, with about 4 teaspoons of dye, perhaps not enough.

The fabric sat in  the dyepot in a crumpled, intentionally swirled heap, left folded in the neat half fold pattern it started with on the bolt.  I used the bottom portion of my steamer as the dyepot, as it will never be used for food of course, and it is the smallest container I have that will accomodate this size project.  Being super frugal I could not stand the idea of making a strong enough dye bath to get the color I wanted  in the washing machine,  and washing most of it away! The effect I am hoping for is a mottled, slightly patterned fabric with gentle hue variations.  I planned to let it soak for several hours, but since it is so late, I will let it go overnight.