For my project I chose plain white 100% cotton sheeting. I will be dyeing about 2 yards. I found exactly what I needed at a great store nearby, Kitch Fabrics. I found the dye and the washing soda at EarthGuild downtown. Thanks to Amy at Kitch Fabrics for a such a great and affordable fabric selection, and thanks to the folks at EarthGuild for great help with the dye supplies. I feel really lucky that I was able to gather the supplies so easily.
So, I started by washing the cotton in hot water. Then I soaked it in a solution of 1 cup washing soda to one gallon water for about 20 minutes. After that I made the dyebath, with about 4 teaspoons of dye, perhaps not enough.
The fabric sat in the dyepot in a crumpled, intentionally swirled heap, left folded in the neat half fold pattern it started with on the bolt. I used the bottom portion of my steamer as the dyepot, as it will never be used for food of course, and it is the smallest container I have that will accomodate this size project. Being super frugal I could not stand the idea of making a strong enough dye bath to get the color I wanted in the washing machine, and washing most of it away! The effect I am hoping for is a mottled, slightly patterned fabric with gentle hue variations. I planned to let it soak for several hours, but since it is so late, I will let it go overnight.